Sunday, November 04, 2007

Assorted Highlights and Ramblings

I woke up with a smile on my face this morning. This is just the kind of autumn day I love. Sunny, crisp and cool. Stepped over to the park, watched a bit of football, had a stroll, crunched some leaves. It's beautiful out there, it makes me shiver. Can't explain it really,

Two posts today. The first one, assorted highlights and ramblings since I last posted. Am pleasantly hungover, two fun nights with no regrets.

Things I have been meaning to write about on here:

"Do as you like with me. I'm your parcel. I have only our address on me. Open me or readdress me". Again from Birthday Letters, loved those lines.

"When she saw how they worked, not on their own but two by two, working their trunks together to tie a knot she realised how astonished they'd been by her hands, because of course she could tie knots on her own. At first she felt that this gave her an advantage - she needed no one else; and then she realised how it cut her off from others. Perhaps all human beings were like that". From The Amber Spyglass, which is wonderful fantasy now, I like it the most out of the three.

"My life is very grown up and sensible these days (not entirely true...) so I enjoy other people's drama. It is much more interesting than engaging with your own. You should try it and then you wouldn't have to worry about being a bad person anymore. :)" I can't officially quote this person, but hahaha, just made me laugh.

I love The Wombats song about Joy Division at the moment. And also The Pigeon Detectives. And a plug for an old friend here.

Went out on Friday night with CK, Gid and a friend of Gid's. Impressed with CK and his drama-management skills. Lovely to see Gid, am so excited about his FCO stuff! Didn't play Scrabble in the end, instead drank cocktails in various places and had a lovely dinner at a place called Balan's, a trendy restaurant on Old Compton St. Very good service, eye candy waiters, great food and drinks, a good buzz around the place. Decided I like going out around there, it's just nice to do a relaxed night out, where no-one's on a mission, there's no fights or drunken louts, just people out for a good time. I love the streets in Soho.

What else? Spent all day yesterday on the TF Conference (the other post will be about that). Sadly missed the Wanstead Flats fireworks last night due to the 5th Anniversary celebrations (TF is 5 years old, yay!) but had a lovely dinner out in Angel with TFers. I love Angel too, I still can't believe it's where my folks first lived when they came to London. Heard from one of the girls yesterday that her boyfriend is doing his PhD in Cardiff and he pays £250 rent a month and lives 15 mins from the centre of the city. Was mightily jealous, vowed to leave London immediately, but upon reflection, I don't mind paying, it's really rather too good to leave just yet.

Have an engagement party to go to tonight. Little brother as my principle drinking buddy. Oh dear. Aaargh still not done my Learning Log....oh well, let's read the paper first...