Friday, November 30, 2007

The Amy Winehouse Stand-Ins

I read this article on The Times Online about who we could listen to while Amy has some time off. Since I have lots of time to check this stuff out, I played through the suggested stand-ins. Some were good, some were great.

In particular, when you have a spare minute, check out:

Adele - when you're feeling soulful (actually sounds a bit like Amy + sick piano and bass)
Ebony Bones - when you're feeling funky (her stuff is ridiculous, very similar to MIA)
Tawiah - when you're feeling deeeep
London hood-soul (pretty raw here, it's nice)
Bridgette Amofah - when you wanna hear Jij (I swear this is Jij's alias, just an octave lower! And also her tagline is "Bit 'o' drama" excellent)

I love listening to songs with words that mean things.

Speaking of words, some that I have looked up recently...

erudite - knowledgeable
repudiate - deny
complicite - knowing about something that you should stop but fail to thus becoming part of it
pathos - a style or quality that invokes feelings (particularly sorrow or pity)
intransigent - stubborn
ephemeral - short-lived

These are from Love in the Time of Cholera, which I am already loving, despite only being on chapter 2. I also like the name Gabriel, I am adding it to the list.