Monday, November 05, 2007

Engagement Party

Hohoho, don't usually do THREE posts in one day, but it's a special occasion. Had to point out that I haven't done any of the work I intended to do today including lesson plans for tomorrow, oh dear. Further, have tried to match my bro drink for drink at this engagement and it is only just hitting me. Thirdly, easily this is the most hilarious engagement I have been to.

Engagements are pretty new in my family, usually we just do wedding and reception, but what the hey, the more parties the better. Held at the lovely Prince Regent, this shindig for about 200 people would easily have set the in-laws back between five and ten k (free bar baby, oh yeah!) They had an excellent magician there, who did such tricks as making you pick and sign a card, and then your card appearing inside a brand new kiwi and also making you pick a card and then your card stick to the ceiling of the dining room. Amazing. My father has his card (business, not playing); I am both excited and concerned that he will be booked for my entirely unintended wedding.

What else? Well, the father-in-law of the bride's speech was just comedy. He talked about his younger son discovering he had a willy; about how the compere's mother would put a chair in front of the bedroom door to stop any rumpy-pumpy taking place; about how life is all about destiny; and about how marriage is a gamble and you should play your cards well. Funny stuff and serious stuff wrapped up into one. Will take the last quote to my kids tomorrow.

These guys aren't getting married until next September, how long is that?! Still, looking at the rock he put on her finger tonight, she will be happy to wait.