Monday, November 05, 2007

Skipping School

The attendance target at my school is 93%. My form, typically, is rather behind on this. We have two kids on the roll that just don't exist, but until the EWO (educational welfare officer) can track them down, they have to stay on roll. As such, we never win the attendance prize.

Am I a good role model? Well, looking at my own attendance, I have missed 4 days of school in the last 41, not to mention a hospital appointment and a visit to the dentist in school time. So my attendance is below the 93%. Further, despite it only being week 2 of the second half of the first term, I am already on my fourth instance of absence. This is a sign of trouble.

How it works in my school is that if staff have more than five instances of absence in a year, they have to have some kinda support interview or something. An instance can be anything from day to literally months (with a medical certificate of course). Mine have been four separate days, but still.

So what happened today then? I didn't really have a hangover, that wasn't the problem. I woke up really early, and my stomach was hurting, and basically I decided I couldn't face the day at school. Once my mind decides that, it's a done thing, it's difficult to persuade myself otherwise. School is like a battle to me at the moment, and if I'm not up for battle, well, I'd rather not take part. People say any teacher is better than no teacher. I disagree...a supply teacher is better than your regular teacher when she's having a bad day. But that is my opinion.

What did I do? Tried to sleep, but failed. Took a stroll in the park to try and get my head in the game. Realised that I looked very much like a skiving kid, so came back home. Forced myself to complete a rather mediocre Learning Log. Dwelled on my problems, and tried to make a plan to help me last to the potential solution. Finally, stumbled upon this, and had an educational browse. Felt a bit better after that, but then when I consider a day of battle tomorrow, well...we'll have to wait and see what happens.

PS Not all doom-and-gloom...also found this and love it.