Thursday, January 24, 2008

Another hectic day

This is my 299th post, how exciting! I'm meant to be marking Y12 essays now, but I'd rather be on here, rambling. We have had people round for dinner, and I have had the busiest day, with lots of drama and ups and downs.

Good stuff:
  • persuading "R" in my tutor group to attend a long overdue detention
  • getting "H" to realise it is wrong to shout "waste man" into someone else's class
  • counselling 5 members of staff
  • having my medic friends in to speak to Y12
  • hitting the gym hard
  • sorting out the LRC book list
  • teaching 3 good lessons, including a great one with Y10
  • finishing marking all my maths books for the week
Room for improvement:
  • having one of my colleagues in tears in my classroom about a child abuse case, and then hearing about two more, and then realising how f*cked up so many of our kids' lives are, and feeling entirely drained by not being good enough for them
  • hearing another colleague has handed in his resignation after just 3 weeks on the job because the kids are just too hardcore, and he misses home
  • my Y8s kicking off - top set and everything, but going over a test that they all messed up is never fun
  • meeeeeetings - on and off and on and off, can't they make up their minds?
  • knowing I have SUCH a busy day tomorrow
  • missing a TLG, when I like sharing my wisdom with the young 'uns
BUT that's ok, it's the weekend! Almost. And at least my dramas are minor compared to some other peoples. Plus my horoscope said just close my eyes and go with it. Ok then.

Finally, a joke from the Marmite bottle: "Doctor doctor, I can't stop eating Marmite on toast". "I know, and I think it's spreading". Hahaha.