Thursday, January 03, 2008

The Wrong Side of the Bed

A valuable lesson learned today. If I get up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning, the correct course of action is to get immediately back in and try again, else the day will be a write-off.

I only pursued this correct course of action at 4pm, when I got back home from school after much trauma, and lo and behold now I feel better. But a lesson learned the hard way.

Actually, I didn't sleep last night, that is probably more the cause of my traumas. I guess it was to be expected - I was having far too good a day on Wednesday that there was no way Thursday could keep up. The problem when I get really happy is that comedown is inevitable, and along with it arrives all kinds of paranoia, weird thoughts, and generally ridiculous actions. For example, I am running redlights, which is something I only do when feeling reckless. Luckily that was ok, but I hit problems when we made a giant skipping rope in the corridor at school and I tried to jump in without looking at the rope (surely the other members of the maths department should have stopped me?!). Inevitably I f-ed up my knee, and am now back to being Limping Lucy. Rubbish. This meant that I didn't do anything properly at school today, preferring instead to cause drama.

That was the most minor of traumas. I upset three people today - two on a small level, one on a real level. I don't know why I have to be honest about what I think and feel. Life was much better and easier when I just kept things to myself and didn't let other people affect me. It turns out being honest about things isn't always the best way forward, particularly when you end up looking like a fruitloop and people get upset with what you say. Further, knowledge is clearly power, so I should try and keep some of this power for myself. As a result, I am now making an effort to be quiet.

A few good things though. I packed up the Christmas decorations early, so at least I have done one thing today; I don't have that Norovirus thing, although am convinced I'll get it since some of the kids will have had it, plus my mother's a doctor so surely it'll somehow sneak in here; I am ignoring school work; I can still walk despite my knee :)

So yes, the RIGHT SIDE OF THE BED tomorrow. It has been decided.