Thursday, January 10, 2008

SHOUTING!

I was a shouty teacher today. It was great! I usually can't shout, and really by the time it got to lesson four I was quite drained by it all, but on the plus side behaviour was soooo good and I actually got to teach stuff almost all the way through my Y10 lesson - unheard of! Also PSHE with my tutor group was lots of learning, I like it. I could almost get used to it, although clearly I can't be a super shouty person all the time. That said, the more experienced teachers say that if you can get it down at the start, then the kids know where the line is and so will behave accordingly. Plus if you over-use your shouting it becomes ineffective; the kids learn to drown you out. But today, being super strict and nipping things in the bud, along with a few readings of the riot act, really worked a treat.

I have set my first homework of the term. Tomorrow I will set five more classes their homework. Which means next week I will be marking marking marking again, grrr, I hate marking. We have a super long staff meeting + twilight INSET on Tuesday, which will be knackering, and I have a meeting with the corporates on Thursday, so essentially I should go to bed now to catch up on the sleep I will lose. Clearly that won't work though, this weekend is also pretty hectic and I'll have to work Sunday. Boo. Oh well, it was nice to not be sleep deprived for a while.

No comment on Arsenal - Spurs last night, except that at least we didn't lose.

And finally, J from my tutor group has been away at Disneyland over Christmas and today was his first day back in school. He bought me this, bless...