Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

Today I am in my New Year's daze. This is a part reflective, part reactive, part proactive daze. In accordance, my New Year's resolutions:

1. Sleep more
2. Try and do the right thing more (with the intention that this will lead to less drama)
3. Appreciate what I have/find the positives
4. Stay drink-free for January (and not go on a resulting BENDER for the rest of the year)
5. Be meat-free in January (this may lapse to red meat-free only)

These are poor resolutions compared to last year since they're not entirely SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time-constrained) but anyway. I need to work on them, so in 2008 I shall try. Besides, I didn't formally achieve last year's either, so I'm not going to compare them.

When I asked my mother what she'd be resolving, she said she didn't need to make resolutions because everything she did was alright already. That's what I'm aiming for. Ultimately.

What else? Today I indulged in a bit of Strauss with my father. Being an insomniac meant we could watch the whole Vienna New Year's Day concert, which was just lovely. One day I'd love to get there live. There was a special piece written for Euro 2008, which I'd completely forgotten about. Clearly this will be a good year because there's football in the summer. I also got a bit more involved in my current mini-obsession - Peter Pan and all things related. Basically I don't understand this story (this Disney version AND the written version; the former because I've never watched it properly, the latter because I've not read it at all) but I want to. Anyway, we watched Finding Neverland late this afternoon and it was entirely gripping. I'm not sure it was a real story, but it was beautiful, and Johnny Depp was excellent, as was the little boy who played Peter. I am still sad for Peter as a character in this, but at least in the end he was able to imagine.

Maybe that should be resolution 6...spend more time in the imaginary.

We're going to the temple now, I'm not sure whether I should call that a good start to resolution 6 or not...still, being there brings me peace, which is always good.

Good luck with your resolutions.