Sunday, January 13, 2008

Busy Weekend of Birthdays

I am feeling pretty good. This is despite going back to bed at 11am with a 6/10 hangover. Two days in a row of going back to bed before midday is surely a sign that I'm still a student.

So why do I feel good? Because I did my lesson planning yesterday, excellent! Lesson planning Sundays is a thing of a past, I am going to try and do it on Saturday, or even in the week itself, so that I feel like I have an actual day off. That's how I feel today, and it's good. Don't get me wrong, my To Do list has 16 things on it, but whatever. I have to mark my Y12 essays and make a profile template for my tutor group, so obviously I am messing about online instead.

I am not repeating last night again. I tried (and kinda succeeded) in attending three birthdays, but it was such a stress and drama, all that moving around and rushing and being late and downing drinks, that in future it would probably be better just to put in a proper appearance at one. I feel the worst about the first birthday because I got lost and was almost 45 minutes late, then grabbed some starters and had to run. I think I will call her to make up for a "snatch and grab". The other two were more chilled, in that by that time I had gotten used to being late and stressed, so I just got over it and enjoyed them. Was good to see some school people, some TFers, and most definitely my buddies from university. The third birthday, where I spent the most time, was just awesome, a proper reunion of maybe forty people, was great! I loved chattering to them all, and in fact doing some quite good banter on the one hand, and some serious deep chatter with a few in particular on the other hand.

But then the downside. I had a shocking amount to drink. Luckily mostly it was white wine (a bottle and a half over the night) but also some pear cider, and here's the real killer, about four shots of Jack Daniel's. Hence at 1am when I decided I should head home, I was half-cut and confident that I would make it home, despite having a minimum understanding of where I was and how I was getting there. I lost someone along the way, and then decided to get on a random night bus, which I got off when I realised I was in Leyton, thinking it'd be easy to get home from there. Errr. No. Luckily I have a credit card, so I just hailed a black cab and paid a lot to make it back. So a tiny bit of sense in me. But a kinda waste of money since if I'd been organised (and not so drunk) then my trusty night bus coulda got me back. Worse than the money though, I think I am more cross with my cavalier attitude, which is just dangerous. Being like that and wandering around at night is just silly, I need to be more responsible.

What else? I can't remember if I mentioned the birthday on Friday night, which was lovely and far more sensible. It was another TFer's drinks, which was super funny in that she is the most cynical and critical person I know, thus making me over-the-top optimistic just to wind her up. Met her ex-boyfriend for the first time, and he is a banter-king, with the kind of silly tangential banter that I really like. That said, generally across the weekend I found that it was nice to be able to chatter away to boys without any hidden agenda. One of my friends was complaining about how girls just lead him on when they have no intention of getting anywhere with him, which I'm probably guilty of, but this weekend I'd like to think I didn't do that, even with my ridiculous top!

Here's my horoscope, you can find yours by clicking here and then typing in your star sign into the search box.

Your problem isn’t recognising that you must review arrangements; it is striking a balance between delving into these enough to find out what is likely to work in the future and obsessing about details. Obviously, you’ll want to do what you can to preserve the plans and relationships you’ve worked hard to create. But, between now and the month’s close, changes around you turn some of these into burdens. Your instincts are already telling you which they are. Now you need the courage to unload them.

I have no instincts about these burdens. Except drinking. Hmm.

And finally, a good article about bipolar, and a good article on a sleep exhibition in London. SO going there soon!