Monday, January 21, 2008

The news said today would be miserable but...

...not for me! I am feeling pretty damn good. It's 21:35 and all that I needed to do today is done. I feel like I have nothing that I have to do right now. It's a good feeling.

Listening to Lupe. Sick. Maybe I feel a bit like a Superstar myself.

Today was definitely a stay day. I taught three good lessons, had minimum drama, and maximum support from my mentor, head of department, and induction tutor. All these pep talks are adding up. Really, I can't quit, it'd let too many people down. Plus today I feel good about it all. I just have to keep remembering that there are good days.

So I got my observation feedback and it was pretty good. She said that she had seen me teach better, but given that I was hyper on Friday, it was reasonable. Seems my energy came out in the good bits, since I got high ratings for teaching and behaviour for learning. Progress, challenge and assessment were all rated a bit lower, but I'd like to think that was because my teaching made the kids find the work easy, rather than because the work was easy. It patently wasn't easy - converting between fractions and decimals, that's tough stuff for level 3a/4c 11 year olds!

I think the bit that made me feel the best today was the fact that ALL of my Y9s turned up to my whole class detention after school. I was expecting like three of them or something, but apparently my rage at them got the message across. So seriously did the kids take the detention that one parent phoned in, and two got notes from their folks to excuse them. I let the kids that had behaved on Friday go within the first 5 minutes, and everyone else was really well behaved in the detention. My head of department remarked that this was a really good thing - that the kids want to learn from me and they respect me after all. Hopefully this is true, and now that I've been cross with them, they'll start behaving. Y10 were also better today, good.

What else? I played this memory game with all my classes today, it's ace! And hilarious that I can do the same stuff with 11 year olds and 15 year olds and they all get on with it. Also, this article about sleep and mobile phones. I've taken to putting my phone on proper silent at night to stop me waking up, but occasionally I mess this up and put it on super loud instead, leading to a massive shock if it goes off at night.

So fingers crossed tomorrow is as good. And that Spurs win. Time to cane the rest of my scrabble games and then for the early night I have been looking forward to all day :)