Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Today I had my first proper day as a teacher. By "proper" I mean a real full day of school. 5 lessons of teaching, 2 tutor periods, lunch and after school stuff. More or less running around continously. Yowzer. That is one looooong day. To top things off, the football match after school meant that I was only finished doing "school" things at 6pm, a whole 10.5 hours after I had left home that morning....crazy stuff!

All in all I think it went pretty well. I was pleased that I managed to keep myself going through it, despite being knackered and a bit ill. If I can do it when I'm not feeling 100%, imagine what it'd be like when I am on top form. My observation went really well too, and the football match after school was good fun - the girls got a walkover and managed to draw against a Y11 team in a friendly match, which was great news. Lots of rather dodgy passing in front of the goal, and also passing to the other team (a strange strategy in my opinion), but still, we got through it.

Alas let my crazy side out a bit on the mini-bus on the way back. I can't help but be completely unprofessional on a regular basis e.g. laugh at kids, talk about them openly, complain about school, talk about my life (especially things that young ears should probably not hear); essentially, at times, I really let slip that I'm fresh-faced outta uni and more or less a big kid (just with a degree). Need to work on that(!)

Was thinking of staying home periods 1 and 2 tomorrow (these are frees) but think I might brave it. Check me out eh?

On a slight downer, found out my insurance excess is £450! Don't even get me started on car insurance - it's a f-ing con, extortion! Grrrr. The only people who benefit are those people who don't take out any insurance and don't pay up when they mess up i.e. the bad people. It feels like we're just throwing money down the drain for absolutely no service at all. What's the point? Anyway, I will stop ranting, but now have realised will have to pay the woman instead of claiming on the insurance, due to the MASSIVE excess. Yuck. Oh well, positive thoughts :)