Monday, November 27, 2006

Today was a good day for lots of reasons. Here are some, in no particular order:

1. All my kids were good in class today.
2. I got to leave at lunchtime for a knee appointment.
3. My knee is fine, not busted up as I feared it was.
4. I beat my 3km time by almost two minutes.
5. I don't have to teach tomorrow afternoon due to VIth open evening preparation (which I have sneakily got out of attending due to Y9 football match commitments...excellent!)
6. I have finally finished reading "The Hook". More on this momentarily.
7. I got a lovely message from Bertie. More on this later too.
8. My brother completed his MCAT exams and said that they went ok. This is good news should I ever follow through on the medicine plan since hopefully they will be ok for me too.
9. Salmon parcels with spinach, carrots and charlotte potatoes for supper; mars ice cream for pudding. Yum yum, my Mum is amazing.
10. An early night in sight :)

"The Hook" was a book lent to me by one of the teachers in the maths department at school. It's a pretty good story in that it could make a reasonable action film, but so badly written, predictable, and downright ridiculous at times that I found it frustrating to read. Finally, almost a month later, I have finished my struggle through the 76 A4 pages. I wonder if I will be brave enough to tell her what I really thought of the story? Quotes from the last page:

Mary was too afraid to join in, at first, but she picked up the courage to remove a shoe and hit Banko's head, hard, with a heel...Lovson smiled, then, looked into Mary's eyes, and said, "Thanks, Mary, you saved my life!"...Lovson stopped, then, looked into Mary's eyes, and said, "Mary, I want you to come with me. I want you to stay with me. I would like you to be my wife. Will you marry me?"


Bearing in mind that Mary met Lovson about 6 days ago when he was being chased by a gang through an airport, and given that there had only been a slight romantic build up before the last page (some stuff about Lovson thinking about Mary and her eyes...he is ALWAYS looking in her eyes...booooring!) this is stupid. The general story too is a bit stupid at parts. However, what annoys me the most is the excessive and stupid use of commas and the word "then". It's almost as if the author has emphysema and so needs to breathe after every word. But when he breathes, instead of normal air sounds, he breathes the word "then" out, meaning every sentence is littered with ",then," for no reason. This is the only explanation as far as I can tell.

On a more positive note Bertie said:

ahh how sweet, as long as ure thinking about me all the time then im happy. (was telling him how I was wasting lesson planning time by admiring pictures of him wearing my red monkey top).

hows the good fight going? u are far and away my favourite teacher ever and ive never even been to one of ure classes.

im really looking forward to the goooseee now - genuinely that and seeing my little sister have been the only twangs of home sickness that ive had while ive been here.

i havent had nearly enough sugar today so am heading out to get some more

This made me smile.

Am now reading "The Other Woman's Shoes" by Adele Parks. Slightly more promising than "The Hook", but the main character is called Martha and is married to Michael. They have two children called Maisie and Mathew. I sense this will annoy me soon. If I ever marry someone whose name starts with an m and then give our children m-names, kick me. Hard.

Right, time for that early night. Hot chocolate tonight :)