Thursday, November 30, 2006

The book I'm reading at the moment is about me. Of this I am certain. Supposedly the main character is called Martha. Clearly this an elaborate ruse. Clues include:

1. Her name starts with an "m". So does mine.
2. She is a Virgo.
3. She was standing on the platform at Earl's Court station in chapter 2. When I was reading Chapter 2 guess where I was standing? That's right!
4. She tries very hard to please people and then feels guilty when she can't. Without delving too much into my psyche, I know I do this.
5. She doesn't bother too much with jewellry, although she wears a beautiful, expensive watch (I am working on this).
6. She likes to "count her blessings".
7. She is a serial monogamist at heart. Contrary to popular belief, I think I am too.
8. She likes to shower before going to bed.
9. She tries to see the positive in people.
10. She can't remember the last time she read a book entirely for pleasure (Oxford degree anyone?)

Ok, now I read for fun, but Martha likes to read prize-winning books for their intellectual and conversational value. I know I do this too. In fact, the only reason I have been reading trashy stuff lately is because Small Island was so rigorous that I needed something lighter. By the way, read Small Island, it really is very good.

There are many more similarities. I fear I am reading about my life in the future. Imagine if you could read your life story already? Weird right? Wonder what happens next...